Muddy Buddies, also known as Puppy Chow, is a homemade snack that combines crunchy cereal with chocolate and peanut butter. So yummy!
Muddy Buddies | An Easy Snack
Talk about easy, Muddy Buddies come together in about 15 minutes and can be enjoyed right away or stored for up to 2 weeks! Not to mention delicious, chocolate is combined with peanut butter to coat crunchy cereal, then it’s all covered in powdered sugar. What you get is a melt-in-your-mouth sensation mixed with crunchy texture. Seriously make this today if you can!
Main Ingredients Needed
You don’t need a lot to make Muddy Buddies, and the best part is, you probably have all of these ingredients right now! Here’s what you need:
- Chex Cereal – this can either be rice, corn or a mixture of both!
- Chocolate Chips + Butter – the butter helps the chocolate stay loose while the chocolate provides sticky goodness for the powdered sugar to stick to.
- Peanut Butter – for flavor! Use smooth peanut butter for the best results, something like Jif or Skippy would work great.
- Vanilla – this is optional but highly recommended, vanilla is used for flavor.
- Powdered Sugar – this coats each Chex cereal and adds sweetness!
Tips and Tricks
- Large Bowl. When I say large bowl, I mean large! The bigger the better. This will help you mix the Chex cereal with the chocolate mixture and not get too messy.
- Ziploc Bag. The easiest way to coat the Chex cereal in powdered sugar is in a large Ziploc bag. I like to add some powdered sugar in before I add the cereal and then top it off with even more powdered sugar, that way everything gets coated evenly.
- No Clumps. And to ensure that you don’t have big clumps of cereal sticking together I like to spread the muddy buddies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet to cool. That way I can separate any clumps I see.
How to Make Muddy Buddies
For full details on how to make Muddy Buddies, see the recipe card down below.
Measure Out Chex Cereal
Measure out the cereal into a large bowl and set it aside.
In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
Pour melted chocolate mixture over cereal and stir to coat. This may take a little bit of time.
Add Powdered Sugar + Mix
In a gallon size Ziploc bag, pour in 1 cup of powdered sugar, the cereal and then the remaining 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake!
Once well coated, dump out the muddy buddies onto a parchment lined baking sheet to cool to room temperature. Serve, or store and enjoy later!
Storing Muddy Buddies
Muddy Buddies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 10 days and up to 2 weeks in the fridge!
Which makes this a great make-ahead snack for road trips or a drive-in movie.
More Treats to Try!
Make these soon friends, trust me, they are that good! And kid-friendly, what’s not to love?
The printable recipe card is down below 🙂
- 8 cups rice Chex cereal or corn Chex cereal or a mixture of the two
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla optional
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar or more to taste
- Measure out the cereal into a large bowl and set it aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture over cereal and stir to coat. This may take a little bit of time.
- In a gallon size Ziploc bag, pour in 1 cup of powdered sugar, the cereal, and then the remaining 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake!
- Once well coated, dump out the muddy buddies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool to room temperature. Serve, or store and enjoy later!