More rich and decadent than regular cake, this is Flourless Chocolate Cake! A naturally gluten-free dessert that is so easy to make.
Dense and full of chocolatey flavor, this Flourless Chocolate Cake sure hits the spot! You’re definitely going to want to make some homemade whipped cream to top it all off. The richness of the cake paired with the airiness of the whipped cream is the perfect combo!
Flourless Chocolate Cake Ingredients
7 simple ingredients are needed to start this moist Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe. Here’s what you need:
- Bittersweet Chocolate – use a bar of high-quality chocolate for best results. I recommend Ghiradelli.
- Butter – this is used for moisture as well as flavor.
- Granulated Sugar – to sweeten, of course!
- Eggs – used for structure.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – for an even richer cake used dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder. Wowza!
- Vanilla – used for a subtle vanilla flavor.
- Salt – to balance the sweet, and to balance all of the other flavors. If you are using salted butter, leave out this bit.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t over bake: the perfect flourless chocolate cake is moist but not too moist but also not dry either! Bake for 20-25 minutes and check the doneness with a toothpick. If it comes out clean or even with a few crumbs, it’s done!
- Flip your cake: sometimes the edges rise a little more than the center, totally normal. However, if you really want a flat top, simply flip your cake so the top is now the bottom and vice versa.
- Substitutions: because this cake is flourless, every single ingredient has a purpose in making this recipe right. That’s why I don’t recommend substituting any of the ingredients.
How to Make Flourless Chocolate Cake
Be sure to follow these directions closely! For full details on how to make flourless chocolate cake see the recipe card down below.
- Preheat the oven. Spray a cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring occasionally. Once completely melted and smooth, stir in sugar and vanilla. Then one at a time, mix in the eggs. Sift cocoa powder into the batter with a sprinkling of salt and gently stir.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan. Smooth the top and bake until set. Serve warm without whipped cream or cool completely before topping (more on that below).
Flourless Chocolate Cake Toppings
Here are a couple of topping ideas to enhance your flourless chocolate cake!
- Berries – check what’s in season and top this cake with berries. So yummy!
- Powdered Sugar – sift some powdered sugar over top for a simple dusty look.
- Whipped Cream – light, airy and creamy! I have a special almond whipped cream recipe in the recipe card down below.
- Nuts – slivered almonds, peanuts, pecans, all are great.
- Flowers – as pictured, flowers are just for looks!
More Chocolate Recipes to Try!
Enjoy this recipe today friends! You won’t regret it!
The printable recipe card is down below. 🙂
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt not needed if you are using salted butter
for the whipped cream-
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- slivered almonds for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring every 20-seconds. Once completely melted and smooth, stir in sugar and vanilla. Then one at a time, mix in the eggs. Sift cocoa powder into the batter with a sprinkling of salt and gently stir.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan. Smooth the top and bake 20-25 minutes. Serve warm without whipped cream or cool completely before topping.
For the Whipped Cream
- Whip all ingredients together until stiff. Top cooled caked with whipped cream and slivered almonds.