Main Ingredients Needed
Yeah, you read that right. This apple dump cake recipe only requires three ingredients! Talk about easy.
- Apple Pie Filling – these are the 21 oz cans you find at the grocery store. Of course, you can use your own homemade apple pie filling, the canned version is just quicker!
- Spice Cake Mix – this contains all of the spices to flavor this dump cake recipe. The result is a warm and moist cakey layer right over the apples!
- Butter – this provides flavor and more moisture for the cake mix to work. I used unsalted butter but feel free to use salted if that’s all you have.
What if I can’t find Spice Cake Mix?
Spice cake mix is definitely easier to find during the holidays. But if you can’t find it, you can use one 15.25 oz box of yellow cake mix and add 1 tsp ground cinnamon, ½ tsp ground nutmeg, and ½ tsp ground clove.
Apple Dump Cake Variations
You may have noticed by now, but this crockpot apple dump cake recipe is beyond simple. That’s how it’s supposed to be friends. But if you’d like to spice it up a bit here are some ideas:
- add nuts (I suggest walnuts or pecans)
- sprinkle in some oats
- add cinnamon (extra on top of what’s already in the cake mix)
- drizzle with caramel or salted caramel
How to Make Apple Dump Cake
For full details on how to make this crockpot apple dump cake, see the recipe card down below 🙂
Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Layer Ingredients
Dump both cans of apple pie filling into the slow cooker. Dump cake mix evenly over pie filling. Place sliced butter on top of the cake mix.
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4-5 hours. Time will vary based on the slow cooker.
Top with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or whatever else your heart desires (did someone say caramel?).
Storing + Reheating Apple Dump Cake
Store any leftover apple dump cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through.
I would not recommend freezing this recipe, especially because it is so easy to throw together in the first place. But mostly because the texture gets all messed up after thawing.
Similar Recipes to Try!
We loved making this super simple apple dump cake and are sure you will too!
The printable recipe card is down below, enjoy 🙂
Crockpot Apple Dump Cake
- 42 oz apple pie filling two 21 oz cans
- 15.25 oz spice cake mix* 1 box
- ½ cup unsalted butter sliced
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Dump both cans of apple pie filling into the slow cooker. Dump cake mix evenly over pie filling. Place sliced butter on top of the cake mix.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4-5 hours. Time will vary based on the slow cooker.
- Top with vanilla ice cream if your heart desires… highly recommended!