Similar to cobbler, this Dump Cake Recipe is super easy to throw together and you’re left with fabulous results! All you need is 4 easy ingredients to get the party started. Want to take it to the next level? Top it with ice cream!
Dump Cake | Easy Peasy!
What the heck is a Dump Cake? It’s a type of cake where you literally dump the ingredients in a baking dish then bake it. The results are magical and incredible, and it’s really the easiest dessert you could ever ask for. In no time at all, you’ll be digging into this warm, moist cake that goes perfectly with ice cream or just by itself. There are a ton of variations you could play with to create your own easy and delicious concoction. The sky’s the limit!
Main Ingredients Needed
The beauty of a dump cake is how quickly it comes together because of all of the store-bought ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Yellow Cake Mix – Contains everything you’ll need for the cake portion of the recipe.
- Butter – Slice it and dice it to create the perfect baking environment for the cake.
- Pie Filling + Canned Fruit – Provides moisture, flavor, and texture. I used cherry pie filling and canned crushed pineapple.
Dump Cake Variations
Now onto our variations, note that not every version needs canned fruit, it just adds flavor and texture! There really are a crazy amount of dump cake variations out there, but here are a few of our favorite ones:
- Cherry pie filling + chocolate cake mix
- Apple pie filling + spice cake mix
- Peach pie filling + yellow cake mix
- Pumpkin pie filling + spice cake mix
- Strawberry pie filling + canned rhubarb + white cake mix
- Blueberry pie filling + lemon curd + yellow cake mix
How to Make a Dump Cake
For full details on how to make our Dump Cake recipe, see the recipe card down below 🙂
1. Preheat + Prep
Preheat the oven. Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Dump Ingredients
Start with the pie filling and spread it on the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon your canned fruit over the pie filling , then sprinkle the cake mix on top.
3. Top with Butter
Slice the butter and distribute evenly over the surface of the cake mix.
4. Bake + Serve
Bake until cooked through. Cool for a couple of minutes then serve warm with homemade (or store-bought) vanilla ice cream!
More Easy Cake Recipes to Try!
If you happen to make this recipe, we’d love to see it! Go ahead and tag us on Instagram @bestdessertrecipes.
Dump Cake Recipe
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter 1½ sticks, sliced
- 42 oz cherry pie filling two, 21 oz cans (42 oz total)
- 20 oz canned pineapple 1 can
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until cooked through. Cool for a couple of minutes then serve warm with homemade (or store-bought) vanilla ice cream!