Sweet, cakey pumpkin bread laced with chocolate chips inside and out, this is a classic Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread recipe. Perfect for Fall!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread | Moist + Cakey
Do I have a doozy for you today! Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. It’s a Fall classic that is moist and cakey. Some find that this bread is hard to get *just* right. Well luckily for you, I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve to ensure you get a perfect loaf every single time.
- Don’t Overmix: First things first, it is so important not to overmix the batter. Overmixing leads to gluten forming which results in a chewy bread. We want things to be cake-like so while you don’t want huge lumps in your batter you also don’t want to overmix it.
- Light Colored Loaf Pan: To prevent crispy edges use a light colored loaf pan and line it with parchment paper! These are the ones I use and they are fabulous! If you do happen to use a darker pan, reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and start checking doneness at 45 minutes in. You don’t want it to burn.
- Allow to Cool: You are going to want to allow the bread to cool for 15-20 minutes before you remove it from the pan. If you cut it too early it might crumble and fall apart, so while I am all for enjoying this treat warm, just wait a little bit.
Main Ingredients Needed
You might have to visit the store to get some pumpkin and buttermilk but everything else is pretty common. Gather up these ingredients to start making this amazing Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread!
- Butter + Canola Oil – both are used to keep things moist and flavorful! Use salted or unsalted butter and if you don’t have canola oil, you can use vegetable oil instead.
- Sugar – to sweeten.
- Pumpkin Puree – I like using Libby’s canned pumpkin puree. Not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling.
- Eggs – at room temperature. For texture and structure.
- Vanilla + Salt – both to enhance flavor.
- Flour – this fills out the bread. Just enough to make it cakey but still moist and soft.
- Baking Powder – this is out leavening agent and works hand-in-hand with the buttermilk to provide the perfect lift to this recipe.
- Buttermilk – for moisture, a bit of tanginess and to help the baking powder lift the bread where it needs to be.
- Chocolate Chips – these are laced throughout the bread and are placed on top. I used a semi-sweet but feel free to use what you have (milk, bitter-sweet or even dark chocolate).
How to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
For full details on how to make perfect Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread, see the recipe card down below 🙂
1. Preheat + Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a light-colored loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Make Batter
In a large bowl, mix oil, butter and, sugar until well combined. Stir in eggs, vanilla and, pumpkin puree. Gently stir in dry ingredients and buttermilk until a uniform batter has formed. Scrape sides to ensure no lumps are present.
3. Add Chocolate Chips
Stir 3/4 cup chocolate chips into the batter. Pour into prepared pan and top with remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
4. Bake + Cool
In the lower half of the oven, bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove from oven and cool at least 15 minutes before removing from pan. Slice and serve.
Storing + Reheating Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
Store any leftover pumpkin chocolate chip bread in an airtight container on the counter for up to three days or in the fridge for up to a week! The longer a loaf sits the drier it will get, so be sure to wrap it in plastic wrap or store it in a Ziploc bag.
To reheat simply microwave a slice for 10 seconds. Or just enjoy cold or at room temperature. I love how melty the chocolate gets right out of the oven but I also don’t mind when it solidifies again and you get a nice crunch along with the soft bread.
Can you freeze this recipe?
You absolutely can freeze this recipe! I’d recommend making a double batch, enjoying one right now, and saving one for later. Allow the loaf to cool completely then wrap in plastic wrap a couple of times. Finally, stuff that baby in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months!
Thaw on the counter then reheat a slice in the microwave, if desired.
More Pumpkin Recipes to Try!
If you happen to make this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread, we’d love to see it! Go ahead and tag us on Instagram @bestdessertrecipes.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1/4 cup salted butter softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a light-colored loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix oil, butter and, sugar until well combined. Stir in eggs, vanilla and, pumpkin until smooth. Gently stir in dry ingredients and buttermilk until a uniform batter has formed. Scrape sides to ensure no lumps are present.
- Stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan and top with remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the lower half of the oven until completely baked. Remove from oven and cool at least 15 minutes before removing from pan. Slice and serve.